Monday, September 27, 2010

obesity thoughts

   Hello, how is everybody doing? After I posted my last message, Adora sent me a gmail and she added her thoughts about obesity...which I thought were very interesting. Here they are:
Even though obesity is such an obvious problem--we all see evidence of obesity when we walk down the street--it seems as though there hasn't been a very widespread movement to combat it. I know the First Lady made childhood obesity one of her causes, but I'm not sure if it's had much impact yet. What are your ideas for solving this problem? Another (sad) thing is that as countries like China develop more, they face big childhood obesity issues. I wonder if this is something that comes as countries develop and get a surplus of food, or whether it is dependent on culture. In developed countries like France, despite a large culture of high-fat foods like cheese and butter, eating habits help keep obesity rates down. Maybe what we need is not so much to stick with one healthy food, but rather to eat less overall...what do you think?
  Back to me: I also think obesity is caused by eating habits, I mean that people always buy junk food because it is so cheap, and then when they start buying it they can't stop. But the problem is that organic foods are so expensive, and most people won't have the energy to plant a garden. And when I tried to plant a garden with my mom, it does not grow.

2 comments:

  1. Try looking at Jamie Oliver's new show or CNN's Eatocracy website - they're both quite interesting. It does seem that bad eating habits come about as a result of our laziness and unwillingness to cook at home. Several people would rather eat out or buy frozen, processed foods in order to avoid the chore of cooking.

    ReplyDelete