Friday, October 1, 2010

More Obesity/camp

 I found some more facts on obesity, which just talk about what obesity is:

   Obesity means accumulation of excess fat on the body. Obesity is considered a chronic (long-term) disease, like high blood pressure or diabetes. It has many serious long-term consequences for your health, and it is the second leading cause of preventable deaths in the United States (tobacco is the first). Obesity is defined as having a body mass index (BMI) of greater than 30. The BMI is a measure of your weight relative to your height.

   Starting this Monday, I am going to sixth grade camp! At my school, Meridian Elementary, the camp is called Camp Waskowitz. Kinda weird name, right? I will be packing after I post this.  But everyone says it is going to be so much fun. I am really excited!!! I have been waiting for camp since a long time ago. Is there a sixth grade camp for school's where you live?

2 comments:

  1. It's kind of funny -- people say you're obese if your BMI is over 30, but that's not always true. Sometimes you have muscle weight rather than fat weight, and you'd be counted as obese. Then again, there are people who are super tall and super fat but they're counted as normal weight because of their height, when in reality they're extremely unhealthy. I don't think BMI is an accurate measurement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never though about muscle weight really being a factor in BMI but I guess it could be. But I do understand the height perspective of it because it makes sense that a person could be unhealthy even if they are tall. I would have to agree that sometimes BMI isn't the fairest way of measuring whether your obese, or the most accurate way either. But at the moment I cannot really think of any other ways... can you?

    ReplyDelete